Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 9-Pompeii and the ferry ride

Yesterday began with another breakfast of cereal. Milk in Europe is served at room temperature, and the one thing I miss most about America is cold milk. Well, I miss my family too, but the milk is important. From here we took a nice bus ride from Sorrento to Pompeii.

Pompeii was interesting, and getting to see the ruins of a well preserved Roman city was very cool. For someone who enjoys history as much as I do, Pompeii is a great place to visit. However, the actual tour takes a backseat to the miserable weather we endured. It rained the entire day, and Caroline and I's European rain coats turned out to be water absorbing instead of water repelling. We spent the entire tour shivering in our rain soaked clothes. We finally got to go back to the bus and change, but not before I bought an awful Italian pullover to wear as a shirt, since my original was soaked. Smart decision on my part.

After Pompeii we took a bus ride to the port for our ferry to Greece. It should be mentioned here that when Caroline Naso gets bored, she turns into a 5 year old. She will of course disagree, but we all know it is true.

We made it to our boat, the SuperFast II (apparently SuperFast I wasn't fast enough) and ate dinner there. It is worth mentioning that at every meal I have eaten with Cates Saleeby on this trip, I have been the perfect gentleman. This is because Cates and Phyllis are the only two people who haven't angered me once this trip. Thank you for that, ladies.

After dinner I went unibrow hunting, and spotted 6 in one room alone. Nearly everyone in Greece has or had a unibrow at one time. I feel right at home with my thick eyebrows. I also played an intense game of Virtua NBA '99 against Helen. My New Jersey Nets defeated Helen's Vancouver Grizzlies 28-13. Sounds like a JV girls game.

While we were doing this, the parents were having a wild party. By wild party, I mean all the adults sat in a room telling stories of their kids and drinking wine. A real rager, it was.

We ended the night ringing in western easter with a candy party. We primarily threw it for Helen, who gave up candy for lent. Being in Greece at that point however, it was Palm Sunday in the Orthodox Church due to calendar differences. You deserved it anyways, Helen. I am tired and need my sleep, goodnight.


P.S. During lunch, some creepy italian man played guitar and sang to us. This man was the equivalent of an Italian Esteban. He also had Dr. Economy join with him in song. It was one of the strangest experiences of this trip, and that is saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment