Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 11-Athens!

Like every morning of this trip, I woke up and ate breakfast with Godfrey. After breakfast, we headed out to the site of the ancient town of Delphi. Our tour guide at Delphi was the best tour guide of the entire trip, as she neither smelled awfully nor was she completely ignorant of the subject she was telling us about. The tour was great but the view from Delphi alone was enough to warrant a visit. I have plenty of pictures I will be sure to post when I get home. Legit doesn't even begin to describe it.

After visiting Delphi, we began the long ride over to Athens. We stopped to eat lunch along the way, and I ordered the most Greek meal I could think of, lamb chops. My meal selection here in Greece is simple. I order whatever Dr. Economy orders. This method ensures I get the best meal possible.

Arriving in Athens, the first thing one notices is that the entire city smells like a landfill. This is a common theme in european cities. Fresh air is in limited supply over here.

Arriving at our hotel, I was pleased to learn that WiFi is free. It has been free everywhere we have gone in Greece. Every other country in Europe is too cheap to provide free wifi, but Greece gladly does so. Kudos to you Greece.

We planned on beginning our walking tour of Athens shortly after settling in at the hotel, however rain prevented us from doing so. Instead, Godfrey and I marveled at the fact that we had a shower in our bathroom that not only had a door/curtain (the one at the last hotel did not), but was also large enough to perform an entire 360 degree spin inside of comfortably. Our tv also has 2 English speaking channels, which is one more than last time. Life is good.

I spent most of my evening pre-dinner and during dinner conversation discussing various subjects with Cates Saleeby, most notably our favorite conspiracy theories. Cates' favorite involved a theory that a race of lizard people inhabit the center of the earth, while my favorite is probably Time Cube. If you don't know what Time Cube is look it up, you will not be disappointed. Things are never boring over here as you can tell.

After going with my mother to an ATM and a failed attempt at teaching Caroline and Helen how to dance, I ended the night talking to the Economy's, John, and Jenna. Dr. Economy has to be one of the funniest people on this trip, and his stories always make me laugh. Good times.

It is late over here and I should be getting to bed. We have a pretty jam packed day tomorrow and on top of that, a couple of us plan on finding a church to attend tomorrow night for a Holy Week service. Goodnight.

P.S. Father Haros always tells us that over in Europe no churches have pews or chairs. Well after having visited a couple churches here in Greece, I have found that they all have chairs or pews in them! If you are reading this Father, I want to tell you you don't have to remove the pews, it is ok to sit down sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment