Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 5-Train arrival and Florence

First things first, their were robbers on our train. I can't make this up. In the middle of the night, we made a stop in Switzerland so the police could run the robbers off. It would have been much easier had they just let Dr Economy and Godfrey handle the robbers. They were both itching for a fight in France.

We arrived in Milan at 545am and immediately took a bus to Florence, which was a good 4 hour drive. We arrived in Florence and went to our hotel, which is the nicest one so far. This one has a normal sized bathroom AND a tv with 3 english speaking channels. We're pretty much living like royalty.

We began the tour of Florence (or Firenze as the Italians call it) by going over what was essentially a house bridge. Apparently this bridge was about 500 years old, and use to be where butchers in Florence had their shops, but now people live there. After that we checked out the Duomo, but no one felt like going to the top, everyone was too tired. I ate pizza for lunch with Brenne, Pavy, and Godfrey. I know so little Italian that I ended up telling the woman who gave me my food "your welcome" instead of thank you. She just sorta rolled her eyes and I walked off. As you can tell, I'm trying hard not to be the ignorant american.

After lunch came the most important part of the day, scarf shopping. I had my 3 woman scarf committee of Helen, Caroline, and Taylor help me pick out a scarf for myself. I found a good one in a store downtown, and I wore it all day. It's been proven a scarf makes you 50% more attractive, and I looked like I should've been on the cover of GQ. I don't know how to put this, but my scarf and I are kind of a big deal. Just sayin'.

From here we got to tour a real Italian leather shop. I wasn't expecting to meet anyone who lived in Florence that spoke perfect English and was American, but the man who gave our tour was from Minnesota. I bought a new wallet which is 100% Florentine leather. Legit.

All the parents went to a wine tasting with Alex after this, while the kids checked out the street vendors. Seems safe enough. I didn't buy anything here, but I did try and help Caroline find a soccer jersey for Will. I say try because Caroline refused to take my advice to buy her brother an AC Milan, Juventus, or Inter jersey, and instead bought him a jersey of a team I have never heard of. I also think she bought a child's small. I'm sorry your sister doesn't care about you Will. I'm unsure whether this jersey will even fit Ben.

I have no idea where we ate dinner last night, but I do remember it had 3 courses. This was a first. As great as that was, the best thing I ate in Florence was definitely gelato, even if it is just Italian ice cream. We rubbed the nose of a boar statue before leaving the city, which apparently ensures we will come back. I wouldn't mind that, Florence is a nice place.

We ended the night back at the hotel, where John and I got locked out of our room. Godfrey fell asleep while we were hanging out with the group, so we had to travel halfway across the hotel to get to Brenne who had Godfrey's room key. I'm fairly sure Godfrey can sleep through anything.

That's all the goings on in Florence. On the bus to Rome now, and I'm tired of typing. I'll blog again soon.

P.S. Godfrey and John don't know how to use a detachable or rotating shower head. I'm not joking. Nor does Mrs Fisher. I guess it runs in the family.

P.P.S. Despite what people may tell you, gelato and ice cream are pretty much the same thing.

P.P.P.S. I love Caroline and Taylor more than pineapple, and like pineapple very much so.
(This is what happens when I let other people have my iPod)

No comments:

Post a Comment