Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 12-Athens Part II

I switched up breakfast this morning and ate with Caroline and Helen and Taylor. This is one of the few times I haven't eaten with Godfrey, and things just didn't seem right during breakfast. I guess I shouldn't break tradition.

We started the day with a coach tour of Athens, during which we saw the Presidential Mansion and the Cathedral of Athens. We also visited the Acropolis , which is an awesome site. It was a very cool experience, even if the weather was extremely cold. It should be noted here that in Athens, no one takes care of their dogs, they just let them roam the streets. The Acropolis was full of stray dogs, the majority of which were nice. One of them did attempt to bite Lisa, but it didn't have any teeth.

After visiting the actual Acropolis, we visited the Acropolis Museum. This museum has glass floors so you can see the excavation beneath. This is fairly cool on the first floor, but terrifying on the third floor. I enjoyed this museum and its exhibits, but the floor was a little distracting.

I ate lunch with Dr. Economy, and managed to get the steal of a lifetime, getting a coke and a gyro for 4 euros. Greece has definitely had my favorite food of this trip. In fact, Greek food is so good that this meal was the first time I saw Cates Saleeby clean her plate. Cates has a stomach the size of a hummingbird's, so she usually doesn't finish all of her food. I was proud of her, but also slightly disappointed, because I usually eat her leftovers.

After lunch, we split up for free time. I went to the Athens flea market and bought myself a nice pair of knockoff Clarks for 30 euros. This was my first purchase of the entire trip. I'm thrifty. I also went to a mcdonald's for the first time in two weeks. I bought a mcflurry, and it was amazing to say the least.

After eating dinner (and losing my mother and Lisa for a short period of time), we went to some sort of Greek dance show. I spent the majority of my time here making an ass of myself dancing (pardon my french). Let's just say I'm a little TOO good at the Macarena.

We met another English speaking tour group at this event. Here is how that conversation went.

Girl:Where are you guys from?
Chloe:South Carolina, you?
Girl:We're from Canada.
Me:I'm sorry to hear that.

I apologized after making this comment, because these people were the polite kind of canadian, not the self righteous kind. We ended the night on the bus driving back to the hotel, during which time Godfrey, Michael and I quoted Hot Rod and Caroline sang a song about wanting Sonic tater tots. Yes, this really happened.

Well, this is my last daily report. I will however continue to update the blog with some other posts and pictures when I get back. I would like to thank Mrs. Vero for organizing this trip, Alex for being an awesome tour guide, and my mother for allowing me to come on this trip. I would also like to thank everyone who read these daily posts, I appreciate your comments which provide for my daily ego boost. I hope you enjoyed reading about my journeys.

Lastly, to the tour group as a whole, I loved spending 2 weeks in Europe with you guys. We have endured cramped living spaces, train robbers, bad dinners, and long boat and plane rides together. I may have complained about most of you at some point in the blog, but I really have enjoyed these past 2 weeks. It's been real, guys. Now let's get the heck back to America.

P.S. In case anyone was wondering, the first place I plan on eating at back home is Bojangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment