Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 10-Greece!

I would start today out by talking about breakfast, but our ferry cabin slept through it. We slept to 10:15, which was really nice. Our boat landed at 1:00, which gave us plenty of time to sit around on the boat. I read a little, but spent most of my time watching the Greek version of Curb your Enthusiasm. I spent a little time watching Easter Mass in St. Peter's square, during which I heard some Canadians who were also on our boat refer to the education priests go through as "cemetery" instead of seminary. I'm done.

The first place we visited was the Church of St. Andrew in Patras. I have now seen The Cathedral of Notre Dame, the Basilica Santa Maria ad Martyres, and the Sistine Chapel, but St. Andrew's is the most beautiful church of them all. The inside was absolutely amazing, and getting to see the relics of St. Andrew, one of the 12 disciples, was an awesome experience. Take notes western Christendom, the Orthodox do it big.


We took a short drive to the town of Delphi, which is built literally into the side of a mountain. I don't think a single road in Greece is not built into the side of a mountain. Our driver, Demetrius, whipped a U turn off the side of a cliff. We also almost got hit head on by the Greek equivalent of a U-haul truck. It was terrifying. Road signs in Greece are merely suggestions.

The hotel in Delphi was very nice, and it was the only place with free wifi. I wasn't very impressed with dinner, so after our meal I went across the street to get a gyro. Helen and Caroline felt sick during dinner, so they also ate here with me. A greasy gyro seems to be the natural remedy for an uneasy stomach. I had to coach Helen through ordering her food, because she had no idea what a gyro or souvlaki was. Also, I felt it was my duty to protect everyone from the man behind the counter who looked like smeagle. I'm not kidding.

We are headed to Athens now, and I want to get some sleep on this bus ride. Until next time.

P.S. I'm fairly sure all Greek people know or are related to all other greek people. Eating lunch, Dr. Economy struck up with a conversation with a random man who knew Dr. Economy's relatives from the village his great grandparents lived in. Crazy stuff.

P.P.S. Once again, Caroline asked to post something in this spot and forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment