Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 4-Paris and the Overnight Train

As I lay here on the triple bunk bed on the train to Italy, I begin to reflect on the day's happenings, and what a day it has been. I woke up at 7am once again , this time to the image of Godfrey's rear end in the bed across from mine. Heck of a way to start the morning off. This was a great followup to his snoring during the night. I headed downstairs for a much better breakfast than I had in London, which consisted of bread, ham, and cornflakes. You have no clue how great it was to eat cereal for breakfast. It was certainly the highlight of the morning. After breakfast, we headed onto our guided tour of the city of Paris. Our tour guide was a little old british woman, and she had a voice that could lull anyone to sleep. We checked out the military college Napoleon attended, the Arc d'triumph, the French Academy and the National assembly. Anything after that is a little fuzzy, as the guide's voice made me fall asleep at that point. I remember waking up at some sort of Military Museum and seeing the church Napoleon is buried inside. Next time we shouldn't have a tour guide with such a soothing voice.

After our tour, we ate a delicious lunch of roasted chicken at a restaurant I can't remember the name of. I wish I could be more specific, but I really can't remember. What I do remember in walking in on an Asian man who was using the bathroom at this restaurant and not realizing it was just designed for one person. That was totally not awkward. We followed lunch up with a tour of a perfumery called Fragonard. Sadly they did not sell the perfume I was looking for, which was Sex Panther. I think France is one of the 60 countries it is illegal in. They did sell a cinnamon perfume that smelled exactly like big red, and a fruit scented perfumed that smelled like sunny D. You could get a 1.5 oz vial of this for 26 euros, or about 34 dollars. Seems legit.

We went to Louvre next, where I spent more time searching for exhibits than I did actually looking at any art. I saw the Mona Lisa, and I can't say I was very impressed. Ms Weller told me she cried when she saw it in person, but I had no similar reaction. I noticed that most Greek statues are of naked people, but most roman statues are clothed. Modesty must have been developed around the time of the roman empire. The other notable pieces I saw were the painting of Napoleon I's coronation and Napoleon III's apartments. I heard another American tourist ask if the two Napoleons were related. Yes, I am serious when I say that. I'm done.

Caroline and I managed to lose or forget our rain coats, so we both hurried around during the time before the train ride to buy one. We were hoping to get matching Eiffel tower ponchos, but we sadly couldn't find any. Instead I bought a plain black one and Caroline bought a paper thin orange one. Great choice Carol, I'm sure that's gonna keep you real dry.

We headed onto the train to Italy next, and I don't know what it was, but not only did Godfrey insist on sleeping on the top bunk, but he also tried hitting on various women who were not in our group. He even told Caroline while she passed by our cabin and as he lay on his bed shirtless that " looking is free but touching will cost ya." I don't see how we will be able to keep the women off of him in Italy.

The ride has not gone as well on my end. I ended up eating a salami sandwich for supper, the official meal of poor people, and I also managed to walk in on a group of girls who were changing clothes in their room. Chalk up the awkward encounters to 2 for today. I'm firing on all cylinders.

It is late and I am very tired, I must try to sleep. Goodnight.

P.S. To my sister, I promise to get a summer scarf in Italy. Have no fear.



1 comment:

  1. There is no way the women of Europe can resist Godfrey's Brando-esque sensuality. These entries are hysterical, Andrew. I'm glad you're having fun.

    Happy Easter, bud.

    --Mr. Cook

    ReplyDelete