Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 6-Rome!

I woke up this morning and ate breakfast with Godfrey. The hotel here in Florence had a very nice selection to eat from, but I only got bacon and eggs because I'm a man. We then took another 4 hour bus ride to Rome. We stopped twice at a service station on the way and ate lunch at one of them. One thing I have noticed here in Europe is the massive amount of Asian tourists. I have seen more orientals here than I have ever seen in the rest of my life, and everyone of them is extremely rude. That is in no way an exaggeration. I told Michael that Tokyo probably looks like a ghost town right now.

An interesting fact about Italy is that the country has a serious scratch off lottery ticket problem. Everyone here is addicted to the mega millions scratch offs. I saw a special on it in Florence and I got to see it in action today in the gas station. This is not a joke. America ha obesity, Europe has smoking and scratch offs.

We arrived in Rome and immediately took a tour through the Colosseum and Roman Forum. I really enjoyed getting to look through ancient Rome, even if our tour guide for this part was an italian woman who had zero knowledge of church history. She also referred to Judaism as "Hebrahism." I'm done.


We visited a Greek Catholic church afterwards to balance the Pagan influences of ancient Rome with Christian influences of the current Rome. This church also held the relics of St. Valentine. Cool stuff.

We climbed up the Spanish steps after this. Here I not only threatened to knockout a street vendor who would not leave my mother alone, but I also thought a woman who was begging was worshipping a pringles can. A little off on that one. Godfrey and John had a deep conversation on love during this part of the trip too. Modern day philosophers, those two are.

For dinner we had lasagna, which was pretty good. Dessert was tiramisu, which I did not eat. This was mainly due to Caroline playing with my dessert and then throwing some of it at me. Sometimes I feel like I am the most mature person on this trip.

I'm now typing this back at our hotel in Rome. We got the executive suite, which features a broken sink, non flushing toilet, and dirty shower. I'm loving this place right now. It is late now and I am headed off to sleep. Goodnight.

P.S. We visit the Vatican tomorrow, and Godfrey still plans on getting the Pope to bless his fists. Kyrie Eleison.

No comments:

Post a Comment